Friday, January 16, 2015

Trust v Faith

I have seen a couple words bandied about in recent years and used almost as synonyms. these words are faith and trust.
Faith - Faith is believing in what can not be known and sometimes can not be either proven or dis-proven. Belief in deity is an act of faith. Belief that humanity is innately good is in many ways an act of faith. Even the belief that there is no deity or afterlife is an act of faith.
Trust - Trust is the belief in the properties, or lack there of, of an object concept or person. Allowing some one into my home with the belief that they mean no harm, is an act of trust. Belief that my fall harness will save my life if properly used is an act of trust. Believing that some one will take from me if given the chance is an inverse act of trust.
Faith is a choice, given without need of acceptance, Trust is something that can only be earned or lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment