Saturday, January 17, 2015

learning from history

I am frustrated when "political correctness" and "revisionist history" coincide. My ancestors (even fairly recent ones) did things that I would never find acceptable. Our Nation has done terrible terrible things.
We should learn from these things, we should own the fact that our, ancestors and our nation did things wrong. Our society is gleeful to point a finger at other nations and cultures that do no more than that which our predecessors have done.
My family owned slaves, both black,and white. It is not something I am proud of but a fact of my lineage. My family "owned" bondsmen. Those who were in debt to my ancestors gave up their freedom or the freedom of their children to satisfy the debt.

These are historical facts I choose to learn from. I choose to learn from the mistakes of my fathers and my grand fathers.
I endeavor to learn from this past injustice. I won't pretend they didn't happen but I will not apologize for the mistakes of an age and culture I was not part of.
Building upon the knowledge gained from the mistakes of past generations, I hope to be a better man than they had the opportunity to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment